It is important for you to understand the words Prerequisite, Co-requisite, and Advisory. Note that prerequisites and co-requisites may be challenged.
- Prerequisite – A Prerequisite is a course that must be completed before enrolling in your desired course.
- Co-requisite – Co-requisite indicates a course which must be taken at the same time as the desired course.
- Advisory – An Advisory course is one that the college believes you should take before enrolling in a specific course. You are likely to perform better academically in the course or program because of this preparation or experience. Students will not be blocked from taking the course(s) if they have not met the advisory.
Prerequisite Clearance Information
Clear your Prerequisites before your registration date!
Before your online registration date check to see if your class has a prerequisite. Prerequisites must be cleared prior to registration. Plan ahead and take care of this as early as possible to avoid waiting in long lines and possible delays to your enrollment in important classes. How to clear a prerequisite?
You are automatically cleared if:
- You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at Rio Hondo College.
- You have completed the appropriate prerequisite course at Rio Hondo College
- You have tested into a particular course level in English, ESL, Reading, and Math by taking the appropriate assessment test.
If the prerequisite course was completed at another college/university:
Note: Rio Hondo College no longer will accept “hand carried” transcripts. Transcripts must be received directly from the issuing institution. All transcripts received other than by mail are considered “unofficial”.
(In progress work or grade cards will not be accepted)
It is the Student’s Responsibility to get their prerequisites cleared. Because classes fill up very quickly, it is recommended that you take care of this as soon as possible to avoid possible delays to your enrollment in important classes.