Welcome to the Rio Hondo College Foundation
Online Scholarship Application
Scroll down and read everything before you begin
The online application for Spring 2018 will be available for completion from January 29th, 2018 to March 2nd, 2018 at 11:55 pm. No application will be accepted after the March 2nd deadline. All applications must be submitted through the online system.
Occasionally a separate application will open for a specific scholarship. An email announcement will be sent to all students with the information, via their Rio Hondo College student email. It will also be listed on the Applicant Home page when you log into AccessRio.
Important Information. You will find the answers to Frequently Asked Questions below. Please read to help make the application process easier for you.
- You must log into your Rio Hondo College AccessRio student account, go to the student tab and click on the online scholarship application. Applications submitted through old saved links or using an email other than your student email (firstname.lastname@example.org) will not be accepted. Please be sure to list an accurate phone number.
- Students will be matched with as many scholarships for which they qualify.
- Scholarship applicants must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Some scholarships will require a higher minimum GPA.
- First-semester college students and high school graduates must have a high school transcript on file at Rio Hondo College and also available for .pdf upload to their application in order to be eligible.
- Scholarships are both need-based and merit awards. Completing your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application is required before submitting your online scholarship application.
- Scholarship recipients must meet all scholarship requirements during the semester for which the scholarship is sought in order to be eligible for an award. Students will forfeit the scholarship if eligibility changes after the scholarship is awarded.
- Meeting the minimum application requirements and scholarship criteria does not guarantee that you will receive a scholarship.
- Only students currently enrolled at Rio Hondo College will be considered and awarded scholarships.
- Applications will not be accepted after the posted application submission deadline for any semester.
- Once an application has been submitted, it cannot be accessed for changes. Incomplete applications will not be considered for scholarships. Please review your application thoroughly prior to submitting. You may save your application and return to it as many times as you would like before the deadline until you feel ready to submit.
- Scholarship decision letters and all official communication will be sent to Rio Hondo College AccessRio student e-mail accounts.
- A thank-you letter and/or attendance at our annual Scholarship Awards Ceremony will be required from scholarship recipients unless otherwise stipulated.
There is a 30-minute time out feature while working in the application. Every time you save and go to the next page you start with another 30 minutes. You will get a brief warning before the application closes. If the application times out due to inactivity you will lose unsaved information. It is recommended that you save your information regularly.
Documents/information needed to fill out the scholarship application:
- Your Rio Hondo College student ID number.
- An electronic copy; PDF document only; of your current and complete Rio Hondo College unofficial transcript with cumulative GPA and schedule of current classes to upload into your application.
- You will need to know your gross income (or your parents if you are for the previous year (available on your FAFSA or CA Dream Act and previous year taxes).
- Campus, community and volunteer information.
- Before you start the online application, we recommend that you write and save your 600-900-word essay “Who Am I?”. The essay is a requirement for submission of your application. You will be able to cut and paste your essay into the application. Pay close attention to grammar and spelling. Please write a personal statement including information such as:
- Personal accomplishments.
- Personal adversities you have overcome.
- Why you have chosen to attend college.
- Mention any special circumstances that affect your ability to attend college.
- Information about your school and community involvement and leadership roles if applicable.
- Future educational or career goals.
- How receiving this award will impact your educational path.
Letters of Recommendation:
- When asking a faculty or staff member for a letter of recommendation consider the following:
- Does this professor/staff member know your name?
- Did you take a class with this person or were you involved in another academic setting?
- Can they provide information regarding your academics?
- Can this person speak to how a scholarship will benefit you?
- Can they speak on your behalf regarding your financial status or hardships?
- Autobiographical statement or copy of your essay “Who am I?”
- Any supporting documents that will make it easier for your recommender to support you with a letter of recommendation. Tell them what class(es) you took, providing the semester and year.
- If you answered yes to most of the questions above, set up a meeting with or email your recommender to ask them if they feel comfortable supporting you with a letter of recommendation. Items you might want to have available for your recommender:
- Have the full name and correct spelling of email for person(s) providing you with letter(s) of recommendation. Incorrectly spelled emails are the number one reason a student does not receive a letter of recommendation.
- Let them know to look for an email that will be sent from email@example.com.
- Let them know they will be submitting the letter of recommendation online and they will write the letter there. Hard copy or emailed letters cannot be uploaded to the student’s application.
- It is recommended that you list 2 or 3 recommenders in case one does not respond.
- Remind them to check their spam folder if they don’t see the email by the March 19th application deadline.
- It is highly recommended that you log into your submitted application and monitor that your letters of recommendation have been completed.
- It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with the recommender’s progress.
- Remember, a faculty member may have multiple students asking for a letter of recommendation. Don’t wait until the last minute to ask for a recommendation as they may not be able to accommodate your request.
- The deadline to receive Letters of Recommendation is March 6th, 2018 at 11:55 pm.
Accepting your award
- Be sure to log back into your application via the AccessRio portal to see if you have been awarded a scholarship.
- You must accept the award by the deadline in order to receive your scholarship
- In addition, you must complete your thank you letter and send it to Foundation@Riohondo.edu in order to have fulfilled all the requirements for your scholarship to be disbursed.
- Scholarship awards will be presented at the Fall Scholarship Awards Ceremony and those that are unable to attend can pick up their checks after the awards ceremony.
This button will take you to the Rio Hondo College AccessRio page. Please log on using your college email and password. Click on the student tab and then the online scholarship link. You must use the online scholarship application on the AccessRio student page.