Where can I return books?
- Inside the Library – The return slot in the Circulation Desk, just past the security gate.
- At the top of the main stairs – The return slot in the Library lobby’s wall, just before the security gate, to the right of the stairs.
- Outside the Library – The book drop kiosk to the right of the main entrance of the Learning Resource Center (LRC) from the lower quad.
Books may also always be handed directly to staff at the Circulation Desk. This is usually the best way should they be overdue.
Where are the library restrooms?
The library has two sets of restrooms: one just outside the entrance to the library in the lobby area near the elevator, and the other inside the library adjacent to the Reference Desk and the Computer Commons. There is also another set of restrooms on the first floor, to your right as you come down the main stairs.
I was told to go to the Learning Assistance Center (LAC)/Reading Skills Lab/Writing Workshop/Assessment Center. How do I get there?
These are all on the first floor of the LRC. The LAC, which offers free tutoring assistance by appointment, is in LR114. Call (562)908-3418 for hours and other details. The Reading Skills Lab is in LR118 and can be reached at (562)463-3104. The Writing Workshop is in LR124 and is for students of ENGL 30, 35, 101 and 201. For more information, call (562)463-3105. The Assessment Center is in LR130 and the Assessment Office is across the hall from it in LR141.
Where can I write up & print my paper?
- Microsoft Office and LibreOffice are available on all of the workstations in the Computer Commons area of the Library. There is also a link on each to Google Docs on the web. All three have word programs that may be used to write a paper, and all three are reasonably good at opening the other’s word formats.
- To print your paper from those workstations, or wirelessly from your laptop; see Printing at the Library. The jobs will be sent to the copy center.
- The LAC has a number of computers equipped with word processing and other software. You can also use the computers in the District Business Lab located in the Business building, B-107. For more information, call (562)463-7364.
Note that the Library does not currently have any typewriters available for use.
Where are the photocopiers? What’s it cost to make a copy?
- The photocopiers are in the Copy Center just past the Circulation Desk.
- The photocopiers accept only copy cards which you can purchase from the card dispenser in the Copy Center (SEE: Printing and photocopying).
- Black and white photocopies and prints are 10¢ per page with a copy card. Color copies cost $1.00 per page with a copy card.
Where do I find the book my instructor has put “on reserve?”
The Reserve books are behind the Circulation Desk. The staff at the Circulation Desk will retrieve your book for you. Be ready to provide your course name, instructor name, course title, or even more information such as edition and color so that they can correctly find the book. And have your Student ID card.
The best places to study are in the individual study carrels by the south-facing windows that overlook Rose Hills. Just behind the reference desk is another quiet study area with study tables good for up to four students. Another popular place to study is in the individual study carrels and tables in the “Tree House,” the reading room to the west of the reference desk, which has views of downtown Los Angeles and the Angeles National Forest. However, conversations in the Tree House echo and make this room quite noisy when occupied by a large number of students.
Is there a place for “group study?”
Yes, there are seven (7) group study rooms in the Library, each of which will seat two to six (2 – 6) people. Bookings are for two (2) hours at a time and can be made at the Reference Desk. There must be at least two (2) people to use a group study room.