The following documents are to be copied, then put in document protecting sleeves and placed in a 3 ring binder. The purpose of collecting these documents is to make it easier for you to have all the documentation needed when applying for a fire service job. By doing this now, you will have the needed forms available should you get short notice of open positions. Keep this binder up to date throughout your career. Remember, no originals in this binder.
1) Copy of birth certificate
2) Copy of high school diploma or GED certificate.
3) If a veteran, copy of DD-214 form.
4) If immigrant, copy of “green card” or naturalization documents.
5) Copy of Social Security Card.
6) Copy of driver’s license. Copies of any special endorsements or physicals related to DL.
7) Copy of any special certificates. For example: EMT. CPR, Hazmat, PC-832,
8) Copies of college transcripts; place them sequentially with the most recent first.
9) Copies of documentation received for on the job training. (civil rights, sexual harassment, safe driving, company operations training)
10) Copies of any awards & copies of any letters of commendation.
11) Copies of letters of recommendation.
12) Copy of most recent resume. If you do not already have one prepared, do so now.
13) Name, address, home and business/cell phone numbers, age, years known, occupation, etc. of 3-5 references (no relatives or previous supervisors), this information should be from friends and/or co-workers.
14) List of all employers you have ever had. This list should include the following information: Name of Employer, full address of business, name of supervisor, supervisors’ job title; for example: Store Manager, Captain, shift leader, etc., your job title, hours worked per week, salary, job duties/description, reason for leaving. You must account for all times you were unemployed (e.g., seeking employment, full-time student, etc.).
15) List of all previous addresses where you have lived within the last ten years. This list should include the following information: street address, city, state, and zip code, years lived at that address.
16) List of all law violations. This list should include the following information: Dates, Charges, Penalties, etc. (THIS IS A BIG DEAL FOR MOST FIRE AGENCIES)