The correctional program is designed to prepare students to enter the field of corrections as competent correctional officers, counselors, probation or parole aides, or para-professional volunteers for any correctional agency. The student may elect to transfer to a four-year college or seek entry level employment in a correctional agency. The courses will provide an academic as well as a practical training program. This will train persons seeking to enter the field of corrections and will increase the education of persons already employed in corrections and may also be beneficial to update the skills and knowledge of professional workers in the field of corrections.
Additionally, Rio Hondo College offers those who have graduated from the CDCR Academy’s 16 week course (totaling 640 hours) the opportunity to get transfer credit. Rio Hondo staff has reviewed the CDCR Academy curriculum and have determined that the subject matter presented has an equivalency of 14.5 units although not necessarily meeting any core class requirements, these are Advance Officer Training electives. These units will only count towards the 60 units for educational incentive pay but are not degree applicable. Those interested in obtaining these units must: apply to the college, enroll in a course, complete the course, receive a passing grade, and once that grade has posted they can request in writing the transferable units known as “Basic Correctional Officer Academy/AOT Transfer Credit”.
INFORMATION FOR CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS
Rio Hondo College provides California Correction Academy Graduates the opportunity to receive college credit for completing the Corrections Academy. Interested individuals are eligible for 14.5 transferrable credits, only after successfully completing a class with Rio Hondo. Request for the transferrable credits must be made via fax or by email within a year of taking a class/es with the college. Pending approval, these students will receive the 14.5 credits plus any additional credits they receive while taking classes with our school.
To begin the process interested individuals must:
- Register with Rio Hondo College: http://www.riohondo.edu/get-started/
- Enroll in at least one class (i.e. Corrections 101).
- Successfully complete and receive a passing grade.
- Wait for the grade/s to post to your transcript.
- Contact Delbia Orozco, Division Secretary, Department of Public Safety at Rio Hondo College by email (email@example.com) with the following:
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Rio Hondo Student ID Number
- Brief description indicating that person is requesting credits for completing the Correction Academy.
- A copy of your “Training Confirmation Letter” (this can be obtained from the CDCR academy and sent directly to Rio Hondo College attention Delbia Orozco). We cannot accept a copy of your academy graduation certificate as proof of attendance/completion.
- Once the above items are received the petition process can begin.
- Completed petitions are then routed to the Admissions & Records Department (which can take up to 2-3 weeks to process).
- Request a copy of your Rio Hondo College transcripts – a minimal fee is applied. (It’s highly recommended that before transcripts are requested, you contact Admissions & Records to confirm that all units have been applied to your transcript. For example, units for class/es you registered and took with our college and any additional units such as the 14.5 you petitioned for by completing the CDCR academy).
Admissions & Records http://www.riohondo.edu/admissions
The process may not have a quick turnaround time and students must understand that there are several parts to the process. They must also take into consideration the length of a class (which can be 8 to 16 weeks long during the Spring and Fall semester; and much shorter during the summer) and that they may encounter delays in registering for classes due to our enrollment process. For enrollment information they must contact the Admissions & Records department.