Fall 2015 Offerings - Sharing the Wealth: Faculty Exchange on Actively Engaging Students in Learning
Option #1 – Friday, October 9th, 10:00-1:00 pm, LR 128 OR
Option #2 – Thursday, October 22nds, 1:00-2:15 LR 128 AND Thursday, November 5th, 1:00-2:15 LR 128
Did you know that the top 2 topics faculty requested in last spring’s professional development survey were “Faculty to Faculty Exchanges” and “Active Learning Strategies to Engage Students?” Were you interested in our Teaching for Learning Institute in August but were unable to attend?
This fall we are offering 2 opportunities to respond to those needs. You may attend 1 Friday session or 2 Thursday afternoons to learn with and from colleagues and walk away with numerous strategies to engage students in learning that you can immediately adapt and utilize in your discipline.
FLEX credit and refreshments provided. RSVP to Katie O’Brien @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teaching For Learning Institute (TFLI) Offerings
Rio Hondo’s Title V Grant has supported the establishment of a “Teaching For Learning Institute” aimed at providing faculty development opportunities that promote student success through:
- One time Instructional Development workshops led by colleagues
- 1-2 Full Day Instructional Development Institutes facilitated by off campus experts
- Ongoing Technology Training offered in conjunction with Information Technology
- Support to enhance the quality of SLOs
- Creation of “TFLI” Resources
Faculty may earn Title V funded stipends for professional development projects related to fulfilling grant objectives such as:
- Providing collegial training to fellow faculty via workshops and/or creation of learning modules and materials
- Attending TFLI or other professional development sessions and updating curriculum and/or SLOs to enhance student success
- Participating in technology training and enhancing the use of technology in hybrid/online and/or in person courses
A compendium of resources to assist faculty in meeting one or more of the grant objectives is currently being developed. Be on the lookout for an announcement in the spring 2015 semester on when this will be accessible.