Welcome to the Staff Development website!
Staff Development seeks
to provide the Rio Hondo College community with
opportunities for professional growth and renewal in order
to foster improved morale, increased efficiency, and
greater institutional effectiveness. Our work is predicated
on the belief that supporting the realization of
individual potential is essential in achieving shared
In 2003, Staff Development at Rio Hondo was reorganized in an
attempt to meet several challenges:
- How to develop meaningful and varied staff development
activities in light of the elimination of the state's
staff development budget.
- How to make the FLEX reporting system more efficient.
- How to more clearly communicate with faculty,
classified, and administrators about staff development
activities, decisions, and processes
The Staff Development Task Force proposed a number of
recommendations that were accepted by the Planning/Fiscal
Council in May 2003. You can read the full report by clicking
Since 2003, the Staff Development Committee has made
strides to address these recommendations and provide a
variety of opportunities for individual, departmental, and
institutional growth. At a planning retreat in June of
2008, the following goals were set out for 2008-2009:
Supporting Opportunities for Individual Growth
Offering Opportunities for Individual and Group Renewal
Creating Opportunities for Skill Building and
Enhancement of Professional Abilities
Responding to needs created by Emerging Critical Issues such
as: Basic Skills,
Student Learning Outcomes, and Technology/MIS.
V. Cultivating and Enhancing a Culture of Collegiality
Specific initiatives for 2011-2012 include:
- Grants program awarding individuals, small groups
and departments the opportunity for professional
- New Technology Training Series
- Instructional Development Series
- Offering of Title V Faculty Development Stipends
- Staff Recognition program ("Caught in the Act"
& "Spotlight on Collaboration")
- Broadening of participation in "Reflection &
- Continuation of 2nd year of Leadership Academy
- Support of morale/collegiality building activities
Please contact me or anyone on the Staff Development
Committee if you have any questions or concerns.
Staff Development/FLEX Coordinator