ART HISTORY FOR TRANSFER
ASSOCIATE IN ARTS DEGREE
DIVISION OF ARTS & CULTURAL PROGRAMS
The Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer (AA-T) Degree is intended to meet the lower division requirements for Art History majors or Art majors with a concentration in Art History (or similar majors) at a CSU campus that offers an Art or Art History baccalaureate degree.
This degree is designed for students interested in an introduction to the discipline and methodologies of art history. The coursework will provide students with an understanding of the artistic contributions of diverse cultures and regions throughout time, of the relationship between works of art and the contexts in which they were produced, and of the ways in which works of art communicate ideas and meaning visually. Students will examine theories of interpretation and iconography, along with issues of patronage, provenance, and conservation/restoration. Students will gain critical thinking skills and a foundational knowledge of art history that will prepare them for transfer to four-year institutions and for arts and humanities-related careers.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLO):
Express an understanding of the roles and functions of art in society.
- Discuss works of art representative of diverse cultures and regions within a historical and social context.
- Explain how works of art communicate visual meaning.
- Describe the principles and formal elements of visual art.
- Apply art historical terminology and methodology in analyzing and interpreting works of art.
In addition to the courses listed in the curriculum tab, the following additional requirements must be met for completion of the AA-T Degree in Art History
- Completion 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Achievement of a minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework (some majors may require a higher GPA, students should consult with a counselor for more information).
- Completion of the 18 semester units in the major with a grade of “C” or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSUGE) pattern; OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern
NOTE: Students are advised to check with the Counseling Department or Transfer Center for the courses accepted into the Art History major at the CSU where they seek transfer.
Major Advising Sheet:Art History for Transfer 20-21.docx
|ART 105 or
|Survey of Western Art: Prehistory through the Middle Ages
*Survey of Western Art: Prehistory through the Middle Ages Honors
|ART 106 or
|Survey of Western Art: Renaissance to Contemporary
*Survey of Western Art: Renaissance to Contemporary Honors
|ART 130||Freehand Drawing I||3|
Choose one non-Western art history course from the following list:
|ART 104||Art of the Ancient Americas||3|
|ART 107||The Art of Asia||3|
|ART 108||The Art of Mexico||3|
Choose one studio art course form the following list:
|ART 120||Two Dimensional Design (recommended)||3|
|ART 121||Three Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 135||Beginning Painting||3|
|ART 140||Ceramics I||3|
|ART 230||*Beginning Life Drawing||3|
|PHTO 190||Beginning Photography||3|
Choose one course form the following list:
|ART 109||Art of the Americas: Colonial to the Present||3|
|ART 112||Art in the Modern Era||3|
|ART 113||The History of Photography||3|
|ART 115||The Art of Film||3|
|ART 120||Two Dimensional Design (if not already used)||3|
|ART 121||Three Dimensional Design (if not already used)||3|
Required Subtotal: 18
CSU GE or IGETC Pattern: Units Vary
Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)
Units Required: 60