Certificate of ACHIEVEMENT
Student Learning Outcomes (SLO)
- Identify minimum qualifications and entry-level skills for firefighter hiring; describe the following elements: application process, written exam process, physical agility exam, oral interview, chief’s interview, background investigation, and firefighter probationary process; identify fire service history, culture, and diversity.
- Identify and comprehend laws, regulations, codes, and standards that influence fire department operations and identify regulatory and advisory organizations that create and mandate them, especially in the areas of fire prevention, building codes and ordinances, and firefighter health and safety.
- Analyze the causes of fire, determine extinguishing agents and methods, differentiate the stages of the fire and fire development, and compare methods of heat transfer.
- Calculate flow requirements for fire apparatus, diagram a pump and plumbing schematic for fire apparatus, and apply mathematic formulae to hydraulics problems.
- Identify and describe the apparatus used in the fire service and the equipment and maintenance of fire apparatus and equipment. (Elective)
- Identify and describe common types of Fire Suppression Systems (4 basic types).
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze, appraise, and evaluate fire and emergency incidents and identify components of emergency management and firefighter safety, including: size-up, report-on conditions, Incident Command System, RECEO, 10 Standard Firefighting Orders, 18 situations that shout “Watch Out,” and common factors associated with injuries and line-of-duty deaths.
To acquire a Certificate of Achievement in Fire Technology, it is necessary to complete the following: