Steps to enrollment for Rio Hondo College & DSPS
The following steps must be followed PRIOR to joining DSPS
- Apply to Rio Hondo College: Riohondo.edu – Click: Become a Student, APPLY NOW
- Complete Placement Tool & Online Orientation
- Apply for FINANCIAL AID! You must file a FAFSA or DREAM ACT to qualify for the Rio Promise
All services and accommodations must be requested in a timely fashion and approved by a DSPS Specialist or Counselor each semester.
In order to remain eligible for these services, students must update their file in DSPS once per semester. It is your responsibility to:
- Schedule follow up appointments with your Counselor
- Request accommodations for your classes each semester
- Update your Academic Accommodation Plan
- Meet with a Counselor to update your Student Education Plan (SEP)
- Provide a copy of your class schedule each semester.
Helpful Tips for New Students
How to prepare for your appointment with a DSPS Counselor:
- Plan ahead! Create a list of questions ready for when you see the counselor.
- If you are running late or need to cancel and reschedule, call the office at (562)908-3420 to let us know right away.
- If you are more than 10 minutes late, you may lose your appointment and will need to reschedule for another time.
Important Dates to Remember:
**DSPS Intake must be completed in order to be eligible for Priority Registration by March 20, 2020
- April 6, 2020 – Fall 2020 Priority Registration begins
- March 2, 2020 – Financial Aid deadline for 2020/2021
- August (mid) -Fall 2020 semester begins (exact date TBA)
Rio Hondo College students have the opportunity to receive free tuition for 2 years!
- Enroll as a first time college student
- Enroll in at least 6 units each semester (Fall and Spring).
- Submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and complete all required forms from the Financial Aid Office.
If you need help, call the Student Success and Dream Center at (562) 463-6650.
New semester checklist:
- Apply to Rio Hondo College & DSPS
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with a DSPS Counselor to develop an Educational Plan
- Join additional programs and services (EOPS, Guardian Scholars, TRIO)
- Familiarize yourself with the campus, especially with the buildings where your classes will be held.
- Utilize our on campus tutoring resources: Learning Assistance Center (LAC), Math and Science Center, Reading Lab and Writing Center.
- Check academic calendar for important deadlines ex: drop deadlines, priority registration, etc.
Do not forget that as a DSPS Student, you have access to:
- The DSPS computer lab during regular business hours
- 10 free prints every semester
- Priority Registration