Nursing Assistant Pre-Certification Course
Please RE-FRESH your computer for current updates to information on website
The Nursing Assistant Pre-Certification course is a 16 week program offered in the Fall and Spring semesters. This course is designed for students who have expressed an interest in the entry-level nursing profession. This course meets Title 22 regulations in caring for the geriatric population in the long term care setting, utilizing skills in basic care, emergency care, and communication. Students who complete the curriculum and the certificate of completion, are qualified to apply for and take the state certification exam leading to Certification as a Nurse Assistant.
Curriculum Guide for the Nursing Assistant Pre-Certification Program
|CNA Course Content|
|Introduction||Patient Rights||Interpersonal Skills|
|Prevention Management of |
|Body Mechanics||Medical & Surgical Asepsis|
|Weights & Measures||Patient Care Skills||Patient Care Procedures
|Vital Signs||Nutrition||Emergency Procedures|
|Long Term Care Patient||Rehabilitative Nursing||Observation &
|Death & Dying||Health & Safety Code|
|72 Hours Theory|
|Total Units 6.5|
CNA Application Period:
9/1/2020 to 9/25/2020 (4:00pm): Spring 2021 start
- Applicants must complete and submit a Nurse Assistant Pre-Certification application to the Health Science & Nursing Division for consideration. Applications are accepted by Mail only: Health Science and Nursing – Rio Hondo College, 3600 Workman Mill Road, Whittier, CA 90601.
(click here for CNA program application)
- The Dean of Health Science & Nursing and the Entry-Level Program Director will evaluate each application for consideration. Applicants accepted into the program will be notified by mail.
- Nurse Assistant Pre-Certification program applicants and alternates provisionally accepted to the entry-level nursing program must attend the MANDATORY Advisement Meeting – Date is distributed upon receipt of application.
- Students will be provided the following information at the Mandatory Advisement meeting (Program Requirements):
Students are required to:
- submit a completed health & physical examination form (must use the RHC form), including immunization records
(Applicants must be free from communicable diseases, infections, psychological disorders, and other conditions that would prevent the successful performance of the responsibilities and tasks required in the training),
- submit a copy of an American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Professional Healthcare Providers CPR Card,
- complete a background check through the assigned agency (fingerprints) once accepted into the program. (Based on guidelines/policies from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), CDPH will evaluate CNA applicants with criminal convictions for any offense using its existing process in which CDPH requests that the applicant provide evidence of good character and rehabilitation. CDPH will review the information and either grant or deny criminal record clearance, based on criteria outlined in Health and Safety Code section 1337.9(c))
If the student has any questions or concerns regarding the background check process, they should contact the Health Science and Nursing Division.
- A valid Social Security Number and California State Issued Photo Identification Card with names matching on both documents. (The CDPH requires a valid social security number and identification card for certification testing).
California State Certification Requirements
– All students are required to meet the California state requirements for hours of theory and clinical attendance in the Pre-Certification course.
– The CDPH requires a valid social security number and California issued photo identification card for certification testing.
– The CDPH Licensing and Certification Program, Aide and Technician Certification Section, can be reached at: 916.327.2445, or: P.O. Box 997416, Sacramento, CA 95899-7416.
For additional information, contact the Health Science and Nursing Division at 562.908.3421.