Home Health Aide Training Course
Please RE-FRESH your computer for current updates to information on website
This course is designed for Certified Nurse Assistants who desire to learn how to provide personal care in the home care setting; for clients who are unable to care for themselves, and/or promote the recovery, safety, and comfort of the client. Additional emphasis on rehabilitation nursing care, family relationships and the impact of long-term illness on the family as well as the client will be included. The Home Health Aide training course meets the required Title 22 regulations for Home Health Aide.
Home Health Aide Course: Click here for program application
For any questions, please contact Patricia Luna : Paluna@riohondo.edu
Prerequisite: Valid California Nurse Aide Certification.
|27 Hours Theory|
|54 Hours Clinical|
- Sixteen years of age or older
- Proof of current CNA certification (copy of certification required),
- A valid social security number (copy of card required)
Completion of the Rio Hondo College Reading Assessment is recommended.
Attending a nursing information session with the nursing counselor is recommended.
- Applicants must complete and mail a Home Health Aide course application with attached copies of: a valid CNA Certification, and Social Security Card. Applications are accepted by Mail: Health Science and Nursing – Rio Hondo College, 3600 Workman Mill Road, Whittier, CA 90601.
- The Dean of Health Science & Nursing and the Entry-Level Program Director will evaluate each application for consideration.
- Applicants will be notified if they have been accepted into the course by mail and may be notified by phone.
Students accepted into the Home Health Aide course are required to:
- submit a completed health & physical examination form, including immunization records (The form must be signed by a Physician or Nurse Practitioner. Applicants must be free from communicable diseases, infections, psychological disorders, and other conditions that would prevent the successful performance of the responsibilities and tasks required in the training),
- complete a background check through the assigned agency (fingerprints) once accepted into the program. (Based on guidelines/policies from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), CDPH will evaluate CNA applicants with criminal convictions for any offense using its existing process in which CDPH requests that the applicant provide evidence of good character and rehabilitation. CDPH will review the information and either grant or deny criminal record clearance, based on criteria outlined in Health and Safety Code section 1337.9(c))
If the student has any questions or concerns regarding the background check process, they should contact the Health Science and Nursing Division.
- The applicant will be required to undergo drug testing at their expense before caring for patients in the clinical setting (through the assigned agency). Evidence of drug use would will jeopardize admission for the student to the course due to the requirements in the clinical setting.
Certification Requirements (CDPH Certificate and Career Certificate)
- Students must complete all required clinical and theory hours for the course.
- Students must pass the theory course with a grade of no less than “C” AND the clinical course with a grade no less than “C”.
- The CDPH requires a valid social security number or Individual tax identification number for certification.
- The CDPH Licensing and Certification Program, Aide and Technician Certification Section can be reached at 916. 327.2445, or: P.O. Box 997416, Sacramento, CA 95899-7416.
For additional information contact: The Health Science and Nursing Division at 562.908.3421