1.What is the first step in joining the Honors Transfer Program?
The first step is to attend an Honors information session. The dates for fall 2018 can be found HERE
2. What GPA do I need to join the program?
Although there are no GPA requirements, students do need to complete English 101 with a grade of ‘B’ or better to join the Honors Transfer Program.
3. What if I earned a ‘C’ in English 101, can I still join the program?
In this situation, a student’s entire academic record will be used to assess their academic readiness for the Honors program.
4. I am a senior in high school. Can I join the program my first semester at Rio Hondo?
If a student has completed the AP English Language and Composition exam with a grade of 3 or above, they are eligible to join the Honors program their first semester.
5. Am I guaranteed admission to the college of my choice if I complete the Honors Transfer Program?
Although several colleges and universities do give special consideration to students completing the Honors Transfer Program, there is not a guarantee of admission.
6. Are Honors courses harder than non-Honors courses?
Students who have completed both Honors and non-Honors courses unanimously indicate that the courses are not necessarily harder but they do require more work.
7. Are all classes at Rio Hondo offered as Honors?
No, each semester, the courses offered as Honors sections are posted on the class schedule. In the ‘attributes’ drop-down menu, students can select Honors as the search term.
8. If I am taking English 101 this semester, can I register for Honors classes next semester?
Yes, admissions and records assumes students will pass English 101 with a satisfactory grade. Once final grades have been submitted for the current semester, admissions will verify that a satisfactory grade was achieved in order for you to actually take the honors class that you registered for.