The institution includes in all of its programs, student learning outcomes, appropriate to the program level, in communication competency, information competency, quantitative competency, analytic inquiry skills, ethical reasoning, the ability to engage diverse perspectives, and other program-specific learning outcomes.
The institution requires of all of its degree programs a component of general education based on a carefully considered philosophy for both associate and baccalaureate degrees that is clearly stated in its catalog. The institution, relying on faculty expertise, determines the appropriateness of each course for inclusion in the general education curriculum, based upon student learning outcomes and competencies appropriate to the degree level. The learning outcomes include a student’s preparation for and acceptance of responsible participation in civil society, skills for lifelong learning and application of learning, and a broad comprehension of the development of knowledge, practice, and interpretive approaches in the arts and humanities, the sciences, mathematics, and social sciences.
The institution offers instructional programs, library and learning support services, and student support services aligned with its mission. The institution’s programs are conducted at levels of quality and rigor appropriate for higher education. The institution assesses its educational quality through methods accepted in higher education, makes the results of its assessments available to the public, and uses the results to improve educational quality and institutional effectiveness. The institution defines and incorporates into all of its degree programs a substantial component of general education designed to ensure breadth of knowledge and to promote intellectual inquiry. The provisions of this standard are broadly applicable to all instructional programs and student and learning support services offered in the name of the institution.
Students who complete programs at Rio Hondo College will be able to:
- Think Critically.
- Apply theory to data.
- Demonstrate an understanding of course material.
- Demonstrate the ability to employ the scientific process.
- Demonstrate the ability to use mathematics.
- Apply various problem-solving approaches.
- Communicate effectively in written or spoken forms.
- Comprehend and interpret various types of written information.
- Recognize, interpret, and actualize creative expression.
- Utilize various media formats.
- Demonstrate Global Awareness and Ethical Behavior.
- Demonstrate an understanding of diversity in culture, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, political background, and other areas.
- Evaluate civic, social, and environmental policies.
- Demonstrate Information Literacy.
- Research, analyze, evaluate, and utilize relevant information.
- Effectively use appropriate research or technology tools or sources.
- Develop Personal and Career Goals.
- Identify the steps necessary to accomplish their educational goals.
- Utilize college resources to support their educational goals.
- Feel a sense of connection to the college.
- Maintain and improve their personal health, wellness, and performance.
Effective January 2018
for completing outcomes work in TaskStream