Welcome to Child Development/Education
The Child Development/Education Department provides students with the information necessary to understand children and their development and to work with children in group settings. Students completing Child Development/Education classes will also acquire the concepts and skills necessary to transfer to university programs in the field.
The department offers:
- 15 unit Preschool Teacher Certificate of Achievement
- 27 unit Child Development Certificate of Achievement
- Associate of Science Degree in Child Development and an Associate in Science Degree in Early Childhood Education for Transfer.
Day, evening, online and off site courses are offered each semester. A laboratory school is available on campus for students to complete assignments and the faculty supervised fieldwork/practicum requirements. Counselor and faculty assistance is available to students who wish to apply for state issued Child Development Permits. Click here for information regarding Child Development Permits.
The Child Development/Education Department provides students with knowledge of Child Development/Education ideas, theories and applications along with information and techniques to insure success in the many career paths of the Child Development field.
OVERARCHING STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
• Child Development/Education students will be able to describe developmentally appropriate practices.
• Child Development/Education students will be able to list career options available to Child Development/Education professionals.
• Child Development/Education students will be able to determine the individual needs and potential of children and their families.
Full Time Faculty
Carol Sigala, PhD