ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE DEGREE
The Associate of Science Degree in accounting program prepares students for employment and advancement opportunities in business and industry such as financial institutions, hospitals, manufacturing and construction companies, wholesale and retail companies, transportation, utilities, educational institutions, all level of government and the military, Entry-level employment opportunities include positions in general bookkeeping, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, income tax preparation, cost accounting and auditing.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLO)
- Students are able to demonstrate an understanding of basic accounting principles and procedures, as well as the role of accounting and bookkeeping within various business organizations.
- Students are able to apply critical thinking skills derived from knowledge of accounting theory, to financial analysis and management decision making.
- Students are able to recognize and understand the importance of ethics and social responsibility in the accounting profession.
- Students are able to analyze, process, and report financial information in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles within established normal and computerized protocols.
- Students are able to relate material from completed courses to their current and future professional needs, even if these needs fall into a different discipline.
NOTE: Students interested in transferring as accounting majors should consult with a counselor for appropriate general education & major preparation counseling.
Accounting Majors intending to obtain a bachelor’s degree in Accounting should refer to the Business Administration transfer curriculum. To acquire the Associate of Science Degree in Accounting, students must complete the graduation requirements of the college along with the following courses, with a grade of “C” or better:
|ACCT 101||Financial Accounting||4|
|ACCT 102||*Managerial Accounting||4|
|ACCT 103||Payroll Accounting||3|
|ACCT 106||Computerized Accounting||3|
|ACCT 203||*Introduction to Cost Accounting||3|
|BUSL 110||Legal Environment of Business||3|
|CIT 107||Microsoft Excel||3|
|MGMT 101||Introduction to Business||3|
|ENGL 101 or||*College Composition & Research||3.5|
|MGMT 108||Business Writing||3|
Choose a minimum of 6 units from the following:
|ACCT 104||*Introduction to Government and No-For-Profit Accounting||3|
|ACCT 105||Income Tax Accounting||4|
|ACCT 201||*Intermediate Accounting I||3|
|ACCT 202||*Intermediate Accounting II||3|
|ACCT 290||CWE/Internship for Accounting Related Fields||1-4|
|FIN 101||Introduction to Financial Planning||3|
Units Required: 35 – 35.5