Child Development Permits are issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and allows an individual to secure employment in an educational program for children funded with federal, state, county or local money. (School Districts, Head Start and State Preschool, Before and After School Care, Campus Laboratory Centers) If you are applying for a Permit for the first time The Child Development Training Consortium can assist in paying the application fee and the basic fee of your Live Scan and Background Check. Rio Hondo College also participates in the Verification of Completion program which gives students who took all of their courses at Rio Hondo priority status with verification and paperwork completed by Dr. Sondra Moe, Child Development faculty member. This status speeds up the processing of paperwork once it reaches the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. For more information go to smoeblog.wordpress.com
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR A CHILD DEVELOPMENT PERMIT?
Applicants must complete a set of specific state required college level Child Development courses along with other applicable college level courses. Some Permits require college degrees. Most Permits also require work experience in order to apply.
WHEN SHOULD A STUDENT APPLY FOR A CHILD DEVELOPMENT PERMIT? Child Development Permit Matrix 7-10
The answer to this question depends on academic goals and how soon students would like to work.
* If a student wants to work right away with the minimum amount of education and no experience working with children apply for the Assistant Teacher permit.
* If a student has worked with children and plans to complete all of the state required courses apply for the Associate Teacher permit.
* If a student has worked with children and has completed a general Child Development Certificate of Achievement along with 16 General Education units required by the state apply for the Teacher Permit.
* If a student’s goal is to earn an Associate Degree in Child Development and they don’t plan to work while finishing their degree that student will qualify to apply for a Teacher Permit when the degree is completed.
* If a student has worked with children, has a Child Development Certificate of Achievement plus 2 classes focusing on the same Child Development focus area plus an Adult Supervision course plus 16 General Education units apply for the Master Teacher Permit.
HOW DO STUDENTS APPLY WHEN THE REQUIREMENTS ARE MET?
Make an appointment with Irene Vu or Angelica Martinez, Child Development Department counselors, for assistance. This will qualify students to participate in the Verification of Completion program which will speed up the application process.
WHAT IS REQUIRED IN ADDITION TO THE APPLICATION FORMS?
A Live Scan that includes Department of Justice and FBI clearance sent to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
WHAT IF A STUDENT CAN NOT AFFORD THE APPLICATION AND LIVE SCAN FEES?
The Child Development Training Consortium offers a program that may process and submit the Permit application, pay the application fee and reimburse a portion of the Live Scan fee with receipt. See the Child Development Department counselor for more information.
NOTE: CDTC FORMS FOR THE CURRENT ACADEMIC YEAR ARE THE ONLY FORMS ACCEPTED FOR CDTC APPLICATION FEE SUPPORT!