Making the leap from Community College to a 4-year University can sometimes be difficult to navigate, but there is help!
You should start planning where you want to transfer to early on. In fact, some experts suggest planning your entire community college experience (courses, target GPA, internships) around what school you plan on transferring to. So you’ll need to work on a few things to get started with the process:
- First, decide if you will want to continue to pursue Communication Studies as the major for your bachelor’s degree.
- If so, research Communication departments and decide which programs will be right for you. See our list below.
- Not all students continue to pursue Communication Studies at the bachelor’s level. For example, you might really enjoy your argumentation courses (SPCH 140 & 240) and decide you want to pursue a pre-law path. In that case, you’ll want to look up universities that offer that program and research related degrees (History or English). You’ll also want to make sure that you are following the right requirements for transferring with Jr. standing into your desired program at your desired institution.
- Either way, be sure to meet with one of our transfer center counselors early on to make sure you are taking the right courses, and are on track to transfer to the school of your choice. Make an appointment today!
- You should also contact a counselor at the school/department you would like to transfer to. They can help you confirm if all the transfer information you have is up to date. Schools can change their policies and transfer articulation agreements. At Rio Hondo, we’ve developed articulation agreements with many universities. We have specific articulation agreements with CSU’s and UC’s and you can learn more about them by going to Asssit.org
- Regularly take advantage of the Transfer Center resources such as mentorship, transfer fairs, TAG, assistance with writing statements of purpose and more! Many of your transfer questions might also be answered here.
- Lastly, work to meet all necessary transfer application deadlines. Our transfer counselors can also help support you with this process.
If you choose to pursue a bachelors degree in Communication, we have identified some universities you may want to consider transferring to, including Cal States, UC’s, Private and Out of State institutions. Remember that if you earn our Communication Studies Degree for Transfer, it guarantees transfer admission to a CSU. Each college listed here offers a Bachelors degree in Communication. Click on each school name to link directly to their Communication Department website.
- Communication studies, B.A
- Communication, B.A.
- Communication, B.A
- Communication, A.B.
Our transfer center counselors will help you map out a path to get you to your desired school. Be sure to see them early on in your career at Rio Hondo.