GO RIO Bus Pass
There are three new changes to the GO RIO program:
- A select number of part-time students (9-11.5 units) are eligible for GO RIO.
- U-Pass stickers (see image below for example) will be distributed for the first time to new students.
- A short five-minute survey must be completed on-line by ALL STUDENTS prior to picking up the GO RIO bus pass. Continuing students who already completed this survey in past do not have to complete another.
FULL-TIME STUDENTS (12 UNITS OR MORE)
As in previous years, the GO RIO bus pass is available to all students who are registered 12 units or more. Students must pay the $9.00 transit fee (which is automatically charged to all students when they register), must have zero balance due, and must maintain 12 units or more throughout the entire semester.
- Students who fall below 12 units to the 9-11.5 range must pay a new “opt in” fee of $50 (see below for details on this fee) to maintain the GO RIO bus pass. Students who fall below 9 units are not eligible for the GO RIO bus pass.
- The process to pick up a GO RIO bus pass for full-time students is summarized below in two easy steps:
- Step 1: Complete the mandatory on-line survey that should be accessible to you from your “AccessRio” Portal (under the Student Tab) after you register for 12 or more units. Survey is now available.
- Step 2: Visit the Admissions and Records Photo ID Window to fill out a GO RIO pledge form. Make sure you indicate the number of units you are registered for. After submitting the pledge form and having units verified at the Photo ID Window, you will receive a new “U-Pass” Sticker that will be affixed to your Photo ID and serve as your bus pass.
- NOTE: CONTINUING or RETURNING FULL-TIME STUDENTS can reload their TAP cards at the AccessRio Portal. This process will be explained below with a screenshot of the AccessRio Portal
PART-TIME STUDENTS WHO HAVE 9-11.5 UNITS
- Students who are registered between 9 and 11.5 units are eligible for the first time, but must pay an “opt-in” fee of $50 to obtain the GO RIO pass.
- Although the $50 may be a steep price to pay, it actually is a bargain compared to the $1,500 that part-time students would pay out-of-pocket to have access to six different transit companies for 16 weeks a semester.
- The process to pay the fee and retrieve the pass can be summarized in four easy steps. They are as follows:
- Step 1: Complete the mandatory on-line survey that should be accessible to you from your “AccessRio” Portal (under the Student Tab) after you register for 9 or more units.
- Step 2: Visit the Admissions and Records Photo ID Window to fill out a GO RIO pledge form. Make sure you indicate the number of units you are registered for (9, 10, or 11.5). At this time your units will be verified and your pledge form will be returned to you to take to the Cashier’s window. Make sure you have your signed pledge form before you go to the Cashier’s window.
- Step 3: Once your units are verified, take the pledge form to the Cashier’s Office. Give the pledge form to the Cashier’s Office as proof that you are eligible for the GO RIO pass. Pay the $50 in one lump-sum payment (installments are not acceptable). As you pay this fee, please note that no refunds are permitted. Take your receipt and your pledge form back to the A&R Photo ID window.
- Step 4: Give the receipt and pledge form to the clerk at the window as proof of payment. You will now receive the GO RIO TAP sticker. You must maintain 9, 10, or 11 units in order to keep your GO RIO TAP sticker activated. Dropping below 9 units makes you ineligible for GO RIO and mandates that you return the sticker to the Photo ID Window (no refunds).
ON-LINE SURVEY COMPLETION AND RELOADING
- Students who are continuing or returning full-time students will be able to visit the AccessRio Portal, click on the yellow-colored “Student” Tab and view the yellow, rectangular buttons “RELOADING GO RIO PASS” and “ONLINE SURVEY” as pictured below in the screenshot.
- Those of you are 9 units or more (new or continuing) will only be able to view the “ONLINE SURVEY” button pictured below.
- Those of you who already have TAP cards from last year can use your existing card for one more year.
Please visit the Important Semester Dates page to review TAP card/sticker distribution dates for the new semester and mark your calendars ahead of time to ensure your GO RIO TAP card will be operational on the first day of the Spring semester.