It is important for you to understand the words Prerequisite, Corequisite, and Advisory. Note that prerequisites and corequisites may be challenged.
- Prerequisites – A course prerequisite indicates the preparation or previous course work considered necessary for success in the desired course.
- Corequisites – A course corequisite indicates another course that must be taken concurrently with the desired course.
- Advisory – An Advisory course is one that the college believes you should take before enrolling in a specific course. You are likely to perform better academically in the course or program because of this preparation or experience. Students will not be blocked from taking the course(s) if they have not met the advisory.
How to Challenge a Prerequisite/Corequisite
A student may challenge a prerequisite/corequisite if they believe they meet the course requirements (see catalog). Upon filing the Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge form, the student may enroll in the challenged class. If the challenge is not upheld, the student will be required to drop the class. The district will ensure that the challenge process is finished, and the student is notified in writing within five (5) working days. Students wishing to appeal this decision should contact the Dean, CTE & Instructional Operations, Technology Building, room T123, 562-908-3460.
How to Clear a Prerequisite
If a student believes they have met a prerequisite at another institution, they can see a counselor for a prerequisite clearance. Students must provide evidence of meeting the prerequisite using documentation such as academic transcript. Please call the Counseling Center at (562) 908-3410 for more information on clearing a prerequisite or visit their website at https://www.riohondo.edu/counseling-center.
You are automatically cleared if:
- You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at Rio Hondo College.
- You have completed the appropriate prerequisite course at Rio Hondo College
- You have tested into a particular course level in English, ENLA, Reading, and Math by taking the appropriate assessment test.
If the prerequisite course was completed at another college/university:
- Send official high school or college transcripts to Rio Hondo College.
- After the transcripts have arrived meet with a Counselor to have them assess the course for approval prerequisite approval.
- This process can take several weeks.
Note: For evaluation and credit to your degree or certificate, official transcripts (electronic or sealed and mailed directly from the issuing institution) must be submitted. However, Rio Hondo College will accept transcripts received in printed “hand carried” or “unofficial” format for prerequisite/corequisite clearance ONLY.
It is the Student’s Responsibility to get their prerequisites cleared. Because classes fill up very quickly, it is recommended that you take care of this as soon as possible to avoid possible delays to your enrollment in important classes. To set up an appointment, please call the Counseling Center at (562) 908-3410 or visit their website at at https://www.riohondo.edu/counseling-center.
Counseling Center Information
Senior Secretary: Veronica Rodriguez
Phone: (562) 908-3410
Student Services Bldg. Rm 160 (SS-160)
Monday – Thursday 8:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M.
Friday 8:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.