Please RE-FRESH your computer for current updates to information!
9/03/19 – 10/04/19, Spring 2020
The 30 unit option (Non-Graduate) program is a three-semester program for the applicant with a valid California Vocational Nurse license, who wishes to quickly meet the requirements to take the NCLEX-RN examination as a non-graduate.
The program is designed to prepare students for employment as a Registered Nurse, providing direct care to patients. The LVN choosing this option should be aware that they may not change their status as a 30 unit option RN with the Board of REgistered Nursing as any time after licensure. Individuals who become licensed as Registered Nurses using this option may not be eligible for licensure in states other than California, and may have difficulty applying to a college/university for an advanced degree. This status will not restrict the practice of a Registered Nurse within California. The program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. See the Dean of Health Science and Nursing for further details.
Applicants who are interested in the Nursing Programs should attend a Nursing Information Session to discuss prerequisites, general education requirements, assessment tests, and the application/selection process. Applicants may also make an appointment with the Counseling Department at 562-908-3410 to discuss individual situations. Click here for Nursing Information Flyer.
APPLICATION / SELECTION PROCESS
(Must have all components prior to application. Incomplete applications are ineligible for consideration)
1. All science courses completed within the last 7 years with a grade of “C” or better, science GPA 2.5 or higher,
2. Overall cumulative GPA 2.5 or higher,
3. Rio Hondo College I.D. number,
4. Social Security Card (attach copy),
5. Reading Proficiency- met through: Multi-criteria approval from a counselor, passing appropriate assessment test or course at Rio Hondo College, or have a 2 year or 4 year degree from a regionally accredited institution. Click here for catalog information,
6. Math Proficiency- met through: Multi-criteria approval from a counselor, passing appropriate assessment test or course at Rio Hondo College for Math 70, or have a 2 year or 4 year degree from a regionally accredited institution. Click here for catalog information,
7. High school diploma (copy), high school transcripts (official or unofficial), or GED equivalency,
8. Official College Transcripts, including LVN program, (must be sent to Admissions & Records, directly from college to college),
9. Copy of LVN License from the Ca BVNPT.
10. ATI TEAS – completed prior to applying:
a. Students must complete the current version of ATI TEAS test with a score of 62% or higher on the first attempt, or,
b. Wait 365 days from the 1st attempt and retest earning a score of 62% or higher, or,
c. May retest in less than 365 days with evidence of completed remediation plan. Must earn a score of 62% or higher on retest to be eligible for application.
Students who have taken the ATI TEAS test at Rio Hondo College and scored below 62% are eligible for a remediation plan at Rio Hondo College. Please see the Dean of Health Science and Nursing for remediation plan development.
Please send ATI TEAS Score electronically to RHC through www.atitesting.com. For ATI TEAS Exam Schedule, please contact the Health Science and Nursing Division at 562-463-3758 or 562-908-3421. Space is LIMITED!
Follow these steps to ensure you have completed the application process thoroughly and accurately. Read the entire checklist to ensure completed process.
- Apply to Rio Hondo College to obtain Student Identification Number (ID). (NOTE: Applying online to Rio Hondo College serves as admission to the college, not as admission to the Nursing Programs.)
- Submit Official Transcripts to Admissions and Records. All transcripts must be sent directly to Admissions and will ONLY be accepted when sent by colleges or educational institutions. (Contact Admission & Records to ensure receipt of your transcripts: 562-908-3415).Rio Hondo College Admissions and Records address:
Rio Hondo College
Admissions and Records
3600 Workman Mill Road
Whittier, CA 90601
- Transcripts from another country must be evaluated from a NACES approved agency and sent directed to Admissions and Records by the company. Click here for a list of Foreign Transcript Evaluation Agencies
- Complete ATI TEAS (current version) with passing score of 62 % or higher. Official copy of ATI TEAS score must be sent to Rio Hondo College from the ATI test site by the deadline date.
- Submit Nursing Application to the Health Science and Nursing Division (S206), along with required documentation from the nursing checklist. (Applicants who submit incomplete applications or who are missing any required documents, will be automatically ineligible.) Click here for LVN-30 Unit Option RN Nursing Program application.
SELECTION is based on the Multi-criteria points system from the Community College Chancellor’s Office in the following areas:
1. Cumulative Science GPA
2. GE Completed, GE GPA
3. Other College Degrees
4. Current Health Care Work Experience and/or Volunteer Experience
5. Current Medical/Nursing certificates/licenses
6. Military Experience
7. Life Experience
8. Other Language Proficiency (read, write, and speak)
9. ATI TEAS test results
*Applicants with the highest points will be selected. Should several applicants have the same points, then they will be selected at random.
1. Provisionally selected applicants and alternates will be notified by mail and required to attend the Mandatory Orientation Meeting.
2. Once applicants are provisionally selected, each applicant is required to complete a background check using the assigned Background Check system, including a drug screen exam. This process will be discussed at the Mandatory Orientation Meeting.
3. All applicants must meet the health and physical requirements in order to complete required clinical hours. Click here for health & physical requirements. For Patient safety, all selected applicants must be able to hear and see without or with assistive devices.
1) Prerequisite science courses must be completed. The applicant must have an overall GPA in the core science prerequisites of at least a 2.5 (Physiology, Microbiology) with no grade less than “C”. The applicant is limited to one repeat in any of the science courses to improve the grade.
|BIOL 125||Human Anatomy w/Lab||4|
|BIOL 222||Microbiology w/Lab||5|
|BIOL 226||Human Physiology w/Lab||4|
|ENGL 101||College Composition & Reasearch||3.5|
(CHEM 110 is a prerequisite to BIOL 222 and BIOL 226 and meets the Rio Hondo College Associate Degree Program requirement for a natural science with lab.)
2) The applicant must meet the overall cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
3) Applicants must complete the appropriate requirements for reading and math: Multi-criteria approval from a counselor, passing appropriate assessment test or course at Rio Hondo College, or have a 2 year or 4 year degree from a regionally accredited institution.
4) Applicants to the Vocational Nursing to RN Program must possess an Active, Unencumbered California Vocational Nursing License.
1) REQUIRED – by permission from the Health Science and Nursing Division only. Students who are accepted to the program will be admitted to ADN 075 (LVN Transition into the Associate Degree Nursing Program, 2.5 units). This course is a prerequisite course for admission into the third semester of the ADN/RN program (ADN 250, ADN 251, ADN 252).
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
The Health Science and Nursing Division recognize that general education courses are not required for the LVN to RN student, but strongly recommends that students complete general education courses before admission to the Associate Degree Nursing Program.
1. Math Competency (Proficiency/course/degree) – must be completed prior to application
2. Reading Competency (Proficiency/course/degree) – must be completed prior to application
SECOND YEAR-FALL SEMESTER
|Nursing Process: Medical/Surgical Nursing II
Nursing Process: Medical/Surgical Nursing II Lab
|Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing Lab
SECOND YEAR-SPRING SEMESTER
|Nursing Process: Applied to Advanced Concepts
Nursing Process: Applied to Advanced Concepts
|Leadership and Management in Nursing
Leadership and Management in Nursing
Board of Registered Nursing Requirements:
The California Board of Registered Nursing requires a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to apply for an RN license. Disclosure of your U.S. Social Security Number/ITIN is mandatory. Pursuant to the California Business and Professions Code, General Provisions, Section 30 (c), “… the board may not process any applicant for licensure unless the applicant provides a U.S. social security number.” (California BPC). The Nurse Practice Act provides for a unified examination and licensing application. Once an applicant passes the examination, a license is automatically issued. Under these circumstances, the BRN cannot accept applications for the examination and licensure without a U.S. social security number. The California Board of Registered Nursing can be reached at https://www.rn.ca.gov/ or (916) 322-3350.
Program Facility Requirements:
95% of the clinical facilities utilized by Rio Hondo College nursing programs require students to have a Social Security Number (SSN) to participate in clinical rotations scheduled in their facilities. It is not possible to progress through the nursing program if the student does not have an SSN. The nursing program must meet these facility requirements in order to be in compliance with contractual agreements with the clinical sites.