53rd Commencement Ceremony
Thursday, May 26, 2016
Rio Hondo College extends its heartfelt congratulations to its graduates for their accomplishment.
Dear Candidates and Graduates,
Congratulations on the momentous honor of being a Summer/Fall 2015 graduate or Spring/Summer 2016 degree candidate of Rio Hondo College!
As a graduate or degree candidate you are invited to participate in the biggest event on campus to celebrate all of your hard work and success, the Rio Hondo College Commencement Ceremony. This year we will be hosting our 53rd Commencement Ceremony on Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in Student Parking Lot A. On behalf of the Commencement Committee, we hope that you participate as well as invite your friends and family to share in this momentous occasion for you and our college.
Please note that Commencement Rehearsal is on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in Student Parking Lot A. It is important that you attend the rehearsal so that you can receive important information as well as ask any clarifying questions. You do not need to wear your graduation attire to rehearsal, but we do ask that you wear comfortable shoes for both the rehearsal and commencement ceremony.
Please ensure that you read through the Commencement Letter in its entirety. You will find important information on purchasing your cap and gown, parking information for the rehearsal and ceremony, and many other very important details that will help to make this event an enjoyable experience.
Again, congratulations and I wish you continued success in your future endeavors.
Director of Student Life & Leadership
Chair, Commencement Committee
Calendar of Events:
- Grad Fest – Tuesday, May 3rd – 11:00am to 1:00pm, Mid Quad
- Rehearsal – Tuesday, May 24th – 5:30pm, Lot A
- Breakfast – Thursday, May 26th – 9:00am, Upper Quad
- Commencement – Thursday, May 26th – 6:00pm, Lot A
Esteemed Rio Hondo College Graduates,
The Associated Students of Rio Hondo College (ASRHC) cordially invites you to the 20th Annual Commencement Breakfast. This is a time to celebrate your accomplishments at Rio Hondo College with those who have supported you throughout your educational journey.
Please take this opportunity to appreciate the efforts and sacrifices that have guided you to your goal, and enjoy this time with fellow students, faculty, staff, and administrators. Each student is welcomed to invite two individuals whom you feel have been a part of your educational journey to the Commencement Breakfast. Due to limited capacity we are requiring tickets to participate in this year’s event; please pick up a maximum of 3 tickets (graduate + 2) from the Student Life & Leadership Department located in the Student Lounge. Tickets are first-come, first-served and will run out!
I am hopeful you will join us in this celebration! This year’s Commencement Breakfast will be held on Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in the Upper Quad.
- Students and guests can park in all Lots, except for Lots A, F and G.
- Security guards will assist pedestrians walking to Parking Lot A, Security guards will provide traffic control, it is important that you comply with the security guards instructions for your safety.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES:
- Parking for persons with physical disabilities is available in all parking lots. However, special arrangements for drop off and parking for persons with disabilities is provided in parking Lot A, north of the ceremony area. Follow signs and security guards instructions for the drop off areas, parking, and access to the ceremony seating area.
Please read carefully!
- It is important that you do not forget your cap and gown – ONLY those wearing the appropriate CAP and GOWN will be allowed to participate. You may purchase your cap and gown at the Rio Hondo College Bookstore for $45.78 through May 26, 2016.
- Only students on the official graduation list may order a cap and gown. Nobody is permitted to purchase one on your behalf unless you are present.
- In order for our guests to enjoy the event, NO BALLOONS, UMBRELLAS, or BLOWHORNS will be permitted. You will be asked to leave these items in your car.
- NOTE: The tassel on the cap goes on the right hand side.
- Please do not leave any valuable items in the Grad Check-in area or parking lot.
- Pick up your NAME CARD in the registration area, in the Technology Quad, prior to getting in line. You will be given further instructions at that time. Be sure to get a copy of the program. Please note that inappropriate nicknames written on your name card will not be honored, and may result in your name not being called during the commencement ceremony.
- The procession will be led to the graduation area in Student Lot A by Ms. Teresa Dreyfuss, Superintendent/President of Rio Hondo College. Dr. JoAnna Schilling, Vice President of Academic Affairs, will lead the faculty and Mr. Henry Gee, Vice President of Student Services, will lead the students to the graduation area. When you reach your chair, remain standing in front of it. Keep your hands to your sides. You will be standing during the flag salute (gentlemen: please remove your caps). Graduates are to be seated at the same time as those on the stage.
- Follow the order of events in the program. You will be directed from the stage when to stand and when to be seated. Ushers will also be helping during the Commencement ceremony.
- At the appropriate point in the program, Dr. Schilling, will present the graduates to the Rio Hondo College Board of Trustees. President Dreyfuss will then receive the graduates and make a few comments on behalf of the Board. When directed to do so, you will proceed to the stage area and give your name card to the announcer at the lectern. The announcer will READ ONLY YOUR NAME. When your name is called, you will proceed across the stage to receive your diploma case from a member of the Board of Trustees with your left hand and shake hands with your right hand. REMEMBER, RIGHT HAND OVER LEFT HAND. Then proceed off the stage and back to your seat.
- When the ceremony is over, you will be directed to stand. You will then follow the faculty to the reception area south of the ceremony seating. Please meet members of your family and friends in the reception area on the south side of the ceremony seating.
- If you have any questions, they will be answered on the night of the rehearsal.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I get my cap and gown?
You can buy the cap and gown at the bookstore for $45.78 during normal business hours.
- Am I on the Graduation list?
To confirm, visit the bookstore, they can verify if you are eligible to buy a cap and gown.
- Do I need tickets for the ceremony?
Tickets are not required for the ceremony.
- How many guest can we invite?
There is no limit on the amount of guest, it is first come first seating for the ceremony.
- What are the tickets for?
Tickets are only for the commencement breakfast.
Limited seating, only 375 tickets in total are available.
Students graduating can only purchase up to 3 tickets (student + 2 additional tickets).
*It is important that you make note of how your name is spelled on the envelope that contains your grad letter. This is how it will appear in the printed program at Commencement and on your diploma. If there is a mistake, please contact Veronica Vallarta in the Admissions and Records office immediately at (562) 463-7647 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org