Rio Promise

banner image

FREE Tuition for Two Years

Rio Hondo College students can receive free
tuition for up to two years

Year 1 — To Qualify for Year 1 Students Must:

  • Enroll at Rio Hondo College as a first-time college student
  • Enroll in a minimum of 12 units each term (Fall and Spring)
  • Submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application, each year
    • Priority deadline for FAFSA and DREAM Act is March 2nd prior to enrolling at Rio Hondo College. Students have until February 15th, 2022 of the first year at Rio Hondo College to complete
    • Complete all required forms from the Financial Aid Office

Year 2 — To Qualify for Year 2 Students Must:

  • Have been enrolled as a first-time college student during the previous academic school year (2020-2021)
  • Have been enrolled in 12 units in Fall and Spring semesters during the 1st year of college
  • Be enrolled in at least 12 units each semester (Fall and Spring) during the 2nd year
  • Submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application by February 15th, 2022 of the second year of college
  • Complete all required forms from the Financial Aid Office

Additional information about qualifying for the program includes:

  • Tuition assistance is only available during Fall and Spring terms (12 units are required, unless in DSPS)
  • Summer tuition assistance is limited and dependent on the availability of funding (12 units and consent from Rio Promise counselor are required)
  • Accommodations for minimum enrollment may be provided, as appropriate to students in the Disabled Students Program & Services
  • Students must be California residents, permanent residents, or qualify for the AB540 nonresident tuition exemption
  • Students are responsible for paying the health fee, student fees, upper division course fees, material fees, and parking, when applicable

How can a student start with Rio Promise?

    Submit an application online at, select “Get Started
    To complete, log in at, select “AccessRio
    Complete one of the following:
  • Attend an Educational Planning Workshop, or
  • Enroll in a Counseling 105 class (if offered at your high school), or
  • Make an appointment with a Rio Hondo College Counselor



If you need help with these steps, connect with the Rio Hondo College Outreach Representative at your high school, or call the Student Success and Dream Center at (562) 463-6650.