Summer Bridge 2020 is still on! We will connect with you fully online through the summer in order to optimize everyone’s wellness as we ride out Covid-19 while still allowing you to engage in the Summer Bridge experience.
The Summer Bridge Program at Rio Hondo College is designed to help incoming first-year students make a smooth transition from high school to college. First, students will attend a half-day Summer Bridge Program orientation that includes an introduction to the campus as well as Summer Bridge and new Avance (First-Year) programs, important guidance on Fall 2020 Priority Registration for classes, and assistance with necessary logistical student issues (including college fees, financial aid, parking permits or bus passes, photo IDs, etc.). Next, students will participate in a five-week Summer Bridge program session, which students will enroll into a summer 2020 college credit general education course. During Summer Bridge, students will learn about a variety of programs (including Honors program, Study Abroad, EOP&S, Police Academy, and MESA) and services such as the Student Success and Dream Center, Tutoring, the Career Center, and Transfer Center. Students will get assistance with tutoring and will work with a peer mentor to participate in team-building activities and gain insight into college life. Participation in the program is FREE, including the student fees and course textbook! Participation for the entire five-week session is mandatory for completing the program.
Benefits of the Program:
- FREE Tuition, Student Fees, Textbook, Parking and Lunch
- Summer 2020 College Credit General Education Course
- Guided Advisement and Financial Aid
- Enrichment Activities, Peer mentors, and Tutoring
Requirements for Student Participation:
- Spring 2020 High School Graduate
- Apply to Rio Hondo College for Summer 2020
- Complete 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application
- Submit a Summer Bridge Program Online Application (see application link below)
Important Program Dates:
Summer Bridge Program Orientation (online) to complete steps for Summer and Fall class registration:
Wednesday, April 15, 2020:
10:00 – 11:30 am or 4:00 – 5:30 pm
(You must first submit a Summer Bridge Online Application to receive details to participate in a SB Orientation)
Summer Bridge Program Session (all online):
- July 6, 2020 – August 6, 2020 / Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (including breaks)
Application Process (extended DEADLINE: April 30, 2020):
- Click here to apply for the Summer Bridge Program 2020!
- Check your email for an immediate program registration confirmation and then periodically (such as twice monthly) for follow-up emails about important next steps from Summer Bridge Program email account..
- Attend all five-weeks of the Summer Bridge program. A Summer Bridge certificate of completion will be awarded to you on the last day of your program session. This earns you Spring 2021 Priority Registration for classes!!
A summary of the information for the 2020 Summer Bridge Program is available in this flyer:
Apply to be a Peer Mentor:
Summer Bridge would not function without its team of highly motivated and extraordinary Peer Mentors who are current or former Rio Hondo College students. This is a great opportunity to make new friends and new connections while developing leadership skills alongside a teamwork ethic. The Peer Mentor position is paid and looks great when applying for jobs or when transferring. Positions are very limited. See the application for complete eligibility details. All application materials must be submitted to Elizabeth Telles in room LR201 by 4:00 pm on March 4th, 2020 Incomplete applications will not be considered. For questions about the Peer Mentor position or application, please fill out the contact form below:
Summer Bridge Program Staff:
Barbara Salazar, Assistant Dean, Office of Student Success & Retention, LR 120
Elizabeth Telles, Clerk, Office of Student Success & Retention, LR 201
Alyssa Martinez, Counselor/Summer Bridge Coordinator
Edward Henderson, Counselor/Summer Bridge Coordinator, Student Success & Dream Center, LR 101
Follow Summer Bridge on Social Media: