The Summer Bridge Program at Rio Hondo College is designed to help incoming first-year students make a smooth transition from high school to college. First, students will attend a half-day Summer Bridge orientation that includes an introduction to the campus as well as Summer Bridge and new Avance (First-Year) programs, important guidance on F19 Priority Registration for classes, and assistance with necessary logistical student issues (including college fees, financial aid, parking permits or bus passes, photo IDs, etc.). Next, students will participate in a two-week Summer Bridge program session, which includes working with faculty in the Summer Math Academy and English Refresher. During Summer Bridge, students will learn about a variety of programs (including Honors program, Study Abroad, EOP&S, Police Academy, and MESA) and services such as the First-Year Success Center, Tutoring, the Career Center, and Transfer Center. Students will also work with a Peer Mentor and Success Coach to participate in team-building activities and gain insight into college life. Participation in the program is FREE, and supplies as well as lunches are included. Attendance for the entire two-week session is mandatory for completing the program.
Requirements for Student Participation:
- Graduate high school in Spring 2019
- Intention to enroll at Rio Hondo College (full-time) during the 2019-20 academic year
- Serious commitment toward one’s education
- Completed online Summer Bridge program application (see registration link below)
- Attendance at both a Summer Bridge Orientation (half-day) and one Summer Bridge program session (eight full-days)
Attendance at one of the following Summer Bridge Orientations: (One half-day session)
- Tuesday, June 25, 2019: 8:30am -12:00pm
- Tuesday, June 25, 2019: 1:00pm – 4:30pm
- Wednesday, June 26, 2019: 8:30am – 12:00pm
- Wednesday, June 26, 2019: 1:00pm – 4:30pm
- Thursday, June 27, 2019: 8:30am-12:00pm
- Thursday, June 27, 2019: 1:00pm – 4:30pm
Attendance at one of the following Summer Bridge program sessions: (Each two-week program session includes eight (8) days, generally Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.)
- Session 1 : July 1 – July 12, 2019
- Session 2: July 15 – July 25, 2019
- Session 3: July 29 – August 8, 2019
- Click here to register for Summer 2019!
- Check your email for an immediate program registration confirmation and then periodically (such as twice monthly) for follow-up emails about important next steps from Summer Bridge Program email account.
- Attend your designated Summer Bridge Orientation date, which will confirm your spot in Summer Bridge.
- Attend all eight days of your designated Summer Bridge program session. A Summer Bridge certificate of completion will be awarded to you on the last day of your program session.
Check out the video below made by an actual Rio Hondo College student in Professor Block’s TV135 class. Hear the Program Coordinators, Math Faculty, and students talk about what the program is and what the benefits are for attending Summer Bridge:
A summary of the information for the 2019 Summer Bridge program is available in this pamphlet:
Apply to be a Peer Mentor:
Summer Bridge would not function without its team of highly motivated and extraordinary Peer Mentors who are current or former Rio Hondo College students. This is a great opportunity to make new friends and new connections while developing leadership skills alongside a teamwork ethic. The Peer Mentor position is paid and looks great when applying for jobs or when transferring. Positions are very limited. See the application for complete eligibility details. All application materials must be submitted to Elizabeth Telles in room LR201 by March 20, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For questions about the Peer Mentor position or application, please fill out the contact form below.
Summer Bridge Program Staff:
Barbara Salazar, Assistant Dean, Office of Student Success & Retention, LR120
Elizabeth Telles, Clerk Typist, Office of Student Success & Retention, LR 201
Andreina Lucero, Counselor & Summer Bridge Co-Coordinator, First-Year Success Center, LR101
Edward Henderson, Counselor & Summer Bridge Co-Coordinator, First-Year Success Center, LR101
You may call the Office of Student Success & Retention at (562) 463-7073 or email by using the Contact Form below:
Follow Summer Bridge on Social Media