Summer Bridge 2021 is still on! We will connect with you fully online through the summer in order to optimize everyone’s wellness as we ride out Covid-19 while still allowing you to engage in the Summer Bridge experience.
The Summer Bridge Program at Rio Hondo College is designed to help incoming first-year students make a smooth transition from high school to college. First, students will attend an online via Zoom, Summer Bridge Program orientation that includes an introduction to the campus as well as Summer Bridge and new Avance (First-Year) programs, important guidance on Fall 2021 Priority Registration for classes, and assistance with necessary logistical student issues (including college fees, financial aid, parking permits or bus passes, photo IDs, etc.). Next, students will participate in a six-week Summer Bridge program session, which students will enroll into a summer 2021 college credit general education course. During Summer Bridge, students will learn about a variety of programs (including Honors program, Study Abroad, EOP&S, Police Academy, and MESA) and services such as the Student Success and Dream Center, Tutoring, the Career Center, and Transfer Center. Students will get assistance with tutoring and will work with a student success coach to participate in team-building activities and gain insight into college life. Participation in the program is FREE, including the student fees and course textbook! Participation for the entire six-week session is mandatory for completing the program.
Benefits of the Program:
- FREE Tuition, Student Fees, Textbook, Parking and Lunch
- Summer 2021 College Credit General Education Course
- Guided Advisement and Financial Aid
- Enrichment Activities, Peer mentors, and Tutoring
Requirements for Student Participation:
- Spring 2021 High School Graduate
- Apply to Rio Hondo College for Summer 2021 (as well as Fall 2021)
- Complete 2020-2021 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (This will cover the SB summer course)
- Submit a Summer Bridge Program Online Application (see application link below)
Important Program Dates:
Summer Bridge Program Orientation (online) to complete steps for Summer and Fall class registration:
(You must first submit a Summer Bridge Online Application to receive details to participate in a SB Orientation)
Summer Bridge Program Session (all online):
- July 6, 2021 – August 13, 2021 / Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (including breaks)
Application Process (extended DEADLINE: May 30, 2020):
- Click here to apply for the Summer Bridge Program 2021!
- Check your email within 48 hours for registration confirmation and then periodically (such as twice monthly) for follow-up emails about important next steps from Summer Bridge Program email account..
- Attend all six-weeks of the Summer Bridge program. A Summer Bridge certificate of completion will be awarded to you on the last day of your program session. This earns you Spring 2022 Priority Registration for classes!!
A summary of the information for the 2020 Summer Bridge Program is available in this flyer:
Summer Bridge Program Staff:
Mike Garabedian, Dean of Library and Instructional Support
Alyssa Martinez, Counselor/Summer Bridge Coordinator
Follow Summer Bridge on Social Media: