Telephone: (562) 908-3410 (ask to speak with Student Services Assistant, Gabriel Amaya, regarding the Pathway to Law School program)
How to join:
1. Click Here to Submit an Interest Form (optional)
You can go straight to the application if you are ready to join.
2. Attend one of the following 30-minute info sessions:
Fall sessions have concluded. Contact us to schedule a one-on-one info session.
3. Complete a Pathways to Law School Application
What is Pathway to Law School?
Rio Hondo College Pathway to Law School, in partnership with California LAW Pathways, is for underrepresented college students interested in learning more about law schools and careers in the legal field. The initiative is designed to enhance opportunities and advancement in the legal profession for diverse populations. Ideally, students will spend two years at Rio Hondo College then transfer to any accredited undergraduate institution to complete their bachelor’s degree and then be considered for a priority admissions review to one of the six participating law schools listed below.
*The Pathway to Law School Certificate is issued by California LAW Pathways. This certificate is part of a larger program that involves community colleges, 4-year universities, and various law schools.
Note: Neither the Pathway to Law School program nor any of its faculty or staff provides legal advice or referrals; the Pathway to Law School program is solely an educational program for the benefit of qualifying Rio Hondo College students.
Students will receive:
- Individual counseling and mentoring
- Exposure to careers in law
- Internship opportunities at legal offices
- Networking and learning opportunities from lawyers and attorneys
- Membership to the Rio Hondo College Pre-Law Society Club (TBD)
- LSAT Test prep support
- Priority admissions review at participating law schools
- Law school application fee waived
Participating Law Schools
- Loyola Marymount University
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California, Davis
- University of San Francisco
- Santa Clara University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of California, Berkeley
Cal LAW Pathways Certificate Requirements
Students in the program must complete the following course requirements prior to transfer:
- ENGL 101 – College Composition and Research
- ENGL 201 or 201H* – Advanced Composition and Critical Thinking or PHIL 110 – Critical Thinking
- HIST 143 or 143H* – History of the United States to 1877 or HIST 144 or 144H* – History of the United States Since 1865
- POLS 110 or 110H* – Government of the United States
- POLS 125 – Law and Democracy
- SPCH 140 – Argumentation and Debate
- Any UC transferable Math
The following courses are highly recommended but no longer required:
- COUN 101 – College and Life Success
- CWEG 290 – Cooperative Work Experience/ Internship for Pre-Law Majors
Some courses may be satisfied through AP course credit.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
You are eligible if you are a currently enrolled student at Rio Hondo College and have not yet transferred to a 4-year university. Students must join the Pathway to Law School pipeline while in high school or community college. If you have transcripts from a bachelor granting institution, and are not already part of Pathway to Law, then you are no longer eligible to join.
If you are not eligible for Pathway to Law, you may still qualify for Law School support programs from your university or college. Seek out resources at your institution, and speak to a counselor/adviser.