The state should develop and support a strong community college system office with commensurate authority, appropriate staffing, and adequate resources to provide leadership, oversight, technical assistance and dissemination of best practices. Further, the state should grant the CCC Chancellor’s Office the authority to implement policy, consistent with state law.
Requirements for Implementation:
- Grant the Board of Governors authority to appoint vice chancellors.
- Amend statute (Education Code 70901.5) to allow the Chancellor’s Office to promulgate Title 5 regulations without obtaining approval from Department of Finance.
- Increase funding for the Chancellor’s Office, if necessary through alternative means.
- Centrally fund statewide initiatives (technology and professional development).
- Retain current annual Budget Act appropriations for the Academic Senate and add funding for the Student Senate in order to support the critical roles of these groups in the shared governance process.
- The Chancellor’s Office should adopt a regional framework to help colleges collaborate more effectively.
- The Chancellor’s Office should develop a robust system to provide the colleges with technical assistance, including the dissemination of best practice information.