Once the student reaches their maximum time frame, and/or does not meet the SAP Policy after one semester of financial aid warning, they will be disqualified from receiving additional assistance other than the California Promise Grant fee waiver.
Extenuating circumstances must ALWAYS be documented or the appeal will not be reviewed. Extenuating circumstances are considered to be (but not limited to):
- Serious illness, injury or medical condition requiring doctor’s care.
- Death of an immediate family member or
- Extenuating circumstances that were beyond the student’s control.
Submit a thorough and clearly written explanation, indicating the extenuating circumstance that prevented the student from making SAP. Supporting documentation must be submitted in order for the appeal to be reviewed. The documentation of extenuating circumstances must show for the semesters where there was a lack of progress, and must match up with the written explanation, OR Educational Plan for a change of major. Students should be aware of why they are appealing and state that on the appeal.
Each appeal will be reviewed by the SAP Appeals Committee and recommended for approval or denial based upon the student’s individual circumstances.
All decisions are final and there is no higher appeal.
Appeals approved will receive a contract that will need to be signed and uploaded to their account.
Access to Appeal Form:
Students who are disqualified from financial aid and have met the requirements to appeal will find the appeal form online at their Access Rio portal. Student must ensure that submission of the Appeal form is submitted with all required supporting documentation. The appeal will NOT be reviewed without sufficient documentation. The student will receive additional request to submit supporting documentation if they fail to do so. Complete appeals, with supporting documentation, are reviewed within three to four weeks of submission.
Required Items to File an Appeal:
- Appeal Form: Attach a typed personal statement which describes your circumstances. You must address all terms that prevented you from meeting SAP standards. Include what actions you took to make an effort to meet your responsibilities during the time of your mitigating circumstances and explain what has changed that will allow you to make SAP progress at the next evaluation.
- Educational Plan: Make an appointment and meet with a Counselor and receive a full Student Education Plan (SEP). SEP is required and it must be attached to the appeal. The SEP must state the student’s Educational goal and it must state all coursework needed to graduate from Rio Hondo College; which must lead to an Associate’s degree. Certificate or transfer program. The student’s educational goal and course of study must also be declared with Admissions and Records Office.
- Unofficial Transcripts: You must attach unofficial transcripts with your appeal. You can obtain your transcripts from the Admissions and Records Department.
- Supporting Verification: If you are requesting an appeal due to extenuating circumstances, your appeal will only be accepted for the following reasons and you must have appropriate documentation attached. You must attach all supporting documentation such as death certificates, medical records and other supporting documentation that relates to the mitigating circumstances. Examples of extenuating circumstances include: 1. Death of an immediate family member 2. Major illness/hospitalization (self, child, spouse, or parent) 3. Mitigating circumstances beyond the student’s control that affected the student’s academic progress.