Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release. We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plug-in.
As of December 21, 2015, we support the following versions of Flash and popular web browsers
- Chrome 46 and 47
- Safari 8 and 9
- Firefox 42 and 43 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 17 and 18 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but you are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. Learn how to clear your cache on a Mac or a PC.
- Google Chrome verifies that the website content you view is transmitted securely. If you visit a page in your Canvas course that is linked to insecure content, Chrome will display a shield icon in the browser address bar.
- You can choose to override the security restriction and display the content anyway by clicking the shield icon and then clicking the Load anyway link.
- Firefox verifies that the website content you view is transmitted securely. If you visit a page in your Canvas course that is linked to insecure content, Firefox will display a shield icon in the browser address bar.
- You can choose to override the security restriction and display the content anyway by clicking the shield icon, clicking the Keep Blocking drop-down menu.
- Select the Disable Protection on This Page option.
Canvas on Mobile Devices
The Canvas interface was optimized for desktop displays, so using small form factors such as phones may not be a pleasant experience in using Canvas. Canvas is not officially supported on mobile browsers. We recommend using Canvas mobile applications for an improved user experience. (Note: At this time, Canvas apps are only available in English.)
Since Canvas uses small elements of Flash, not all Canvas features may be supported on mobile devices, especially on iOS.
Visit the Apple store or the Play store to download mobile browsers. The following major browsers are compatible with mobile devices but Canvas features may not be supported:
- Safari (default browser that opens from Canvas)
- Photon Flash Player (supports Flash\P )
Note: Android default browser varies per mobile device.