While distance education once referred primarily to correspondence or “telecourses”, today the computer and the Internet are being used to provide students with a dynamic and interactive learning experience anywhere and anytime. Modern distance education is an innovative development in higher education that uses technology to facilitate learning without the limitations of time or place. Rio Hondo College offers courses that use the power of this technology to provide learning experiences that are 100% online, combine campus-based and online instruction (“hybrid” or “blended” courses), and enrich campus-based courses (web-enhanced courses). Students at Rio Hondo College benefit from these opportunities to enhance their computer skills while mastering course content. Rio Hondo College offers a variety of online general education and major preparation courses that prepare students for transfer, as well as courses in a number of vocational areas. Students are able to compete almost all of their AA or AS degree requirements online without ever attending a class on campus.
A great advantage of distance education is that it provides students with the flexibility needed to achieve an appropriate balance of work, family, community, and educational commitments.
Benefits of enrolling into an online course are:
- Log on to class using any computer with Internet access – at home, at work, at the local library, or on campus
- “Attend” class 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Communicate with your instructor and classmates through email and/or class discussions
- Work at your own pace while remaining mindful of deadlines and due dates
- Avoid traffic jams and parking fees – saving you gas, money, and time!