These services are for Rio Hondo College Faculty only.
Online Teaching Certification:
Please contact the Distance Education department at firstname.lastname@example.org to get access to the modules necessary to complete the certification.
Faculty Request for Course Shells, Technical Assistance, Course Back-up, or Assistance with Syllabus Posting
Canvas Instructor Training Videos
How to export and import your Canvas course
How to download your Grade center
How to create a Scheduler appointment in your Canvas calendar
- Complete Course Consultation – Our knowledgeable staff will help you take your existing on-campus course and convert it to the online environment. Faculty can use the web to enhance a campus-based course, to develop a “hybrid” course that combines campus-based and online instruction, or to teach a course that is fully online. We will help you analyze your needs, create and manage initial content, and provide you with an understanding of the best approaches to online instruction (i.e., appropriate pedagogy). Assistance is available for both the new instructor and for the instructor who seeks ways to improve an existing course. Please contact the office of Distance Education by E-Mail at email@example.com if you are interested.
- Canvas Course Development – Our trained staff can help you to get your materials up on the web. We’ll show you how to make the most out of your Canvas course. We provide a number of scheduled workshops every semester, as well as one-on-one training sessions. If you are interested in a workshop that does not fit into your schedule, please contact the Distance Education Coordinator, Jill Pfeiffer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 562.463.7455 to make other arrangements.
- Introduction to Canvas for Students – Our trained staff can provide a lab orientation to your class and walk them through the basics of Canvas. We can help your whole class login, show them how to navigate Canvas, and show them how to contact us for help. This service is available for web-enhanced, hybrid, and online courses on a pre-arranged basis. Please contact the office of Distance Education at extension 3218 to make arrangements. Note that there are scheduled orientations each semester.
- Faculty Training – Faculty training is provided on online pedagogy, the effective use of technology to enhance learning online and in the classroom, and on the use of Canvas, the course management system used at Rio Hondo College. Flex credit is awarded for all Online Education activities. If you are interested in a workshop that does not fit into your schedule, please contact the Distance Education Coordinator, Jill Pfeiffer at email@example.com or 562.463.7455 to make other arrangements.
- Faculty Workstations – Faculty computer workstations are available in the Office of Distance Education Lab, LR141D. These workstations are available for course uploads and backups, and for any other course-related activities. The following are available for faculty use:
- Respondus – software that facilitates the uploading of questions into your course.
- Whisper booth – record your audio and video lectures using our Whisper booth and professional microphone (you can significantly reduce ambient and acoustic noise when doing your audio or video recordings using this equipment).
- Camtasia – tutorial-creation software that can be sure to make course concepts come to life. Samples of tutorials created by the Distance Education staff can be seen at: http://www.riohondo.edu/canvas-orientation/ or please view an overview of Camtasia Studio editor: