Located in LR 206
To provide the Rio Hondo College community with opportunities for professional growth and renewal in order to foster improved morale, increased efficiency, and greater institutional effectiveness. Our work is predicated on the belief that supporting the realization of individual potential is essential in achieving shared excellence.
Our Offerings Include:
FLEX refers to the faculty obligation to engage in a designated number of hours of professional development each semester. The FLEX office
- coordinates the online reporting (FLEX Reporter) and verifying of hours
- organizes pre-semester FLEX Days & other staff development offerings during the year
- reviews and compiles lists of pre-approved activities
Funding Support for Workshops, Trainings, Conferences or other Projects
A limited amount of grant funding is available for individuals, small groups, and/or divisions to support professional development projects which may involve:
- travel to off campus conferences and workshops
- on campus trainings
- independently designed professional growth activities.
Teaching for Learning Institute Workshops
Our Title V grant has enabled the creation of a “Teaching for Learning Institute” that provides instructional development offerings and stipends which can include:
- Instructional Development Workshops & Series
- 1-2 Day Intensive Teaching for Learning Institutes
- A resource repository of collegial best practices and past instructional enhancement projects (coming soon!)
Information Technology and Staff Development work together each semester to craft a series of workshops to provide all campus employees the opportunity to enhance their technological skills. For this semester’s offerings, go to the Tech training website.
Reflection & Renewal Retreats
Each year, full day off campus retreats are offered to any interested staff. The intent of these gatherings is to provide a relaxed, focused and collegial atmosphere that encourages introspection, insight and revitalization so that participants return to campus with a renewed sense of purpose.
All staff are invited to participate in on and off campus opportunities to develop their leadership abilities which include:
- A 10 month campus based Rio Hondo Leadership Academy
- SanFACC Mentor Program
Staff Development & FLEX Committee Members
*Management/Confidential Representatives: Maria Martinez, Alice Mecom, Ruthie Retana
*Faculty Representatives: Frank Accardo, Kelly Lynch, Sheila Lynch
Classified Staff Representatives: Kathy Gomez, Sandra Rivera, Lisa Sandoval
Other members: Teresa Martinez, FLEX/Staff Development Clerk, Sable Cantus, Technology Trainer, Katie O’Brien, Staff Development/FLEX Coordinator
*Note – Per the RHCFA contract, the FLEX committee is composed of only Management and Faculty Representatives.
This committee meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month from 2:30-3:30.