Communications and Languages Mission Statement:
The Division of Communications and Languages seeks to provide quality instruction and experiences to enhance students’ understanding and usage of language’s rhetorical, creative, and critical thinking applications for transfer, career, and personal success.
Welcome to the Division of Communications & Languages! Our division, one of the largest at Rio Hondo College, is comprised of six academic departments:
- English & Literature
- English as a New Language (ENLA)
- Languages (including Chinese, French, Japanese, Spanish, & American Sign Language)
- Mass Communications (including Journalism, Radio, & Mass Media)
- Reading & Effective Study Methods
- Speech (including Forensics)
In addition, our division administers the Writers’ Resource Center, open to all Rio Hondo students who need instructional assistance in writing. Activities include specialized English tutoring, workshops, and one-on-one writing assistance from an English instructor for any subject
Our Division offers more than a hundred courses that provide a foundation for students pursuing their transfer and career/technical educational goals. Many of our division’s courses fulfill general education transfer requirements included among the CSU GE Breadth Course Requirements (in Areas A and C2) and Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum, or IGETC (in Areas 1, 3, and 5).
Our courses are delivered primarily in traditional on-campus formats but increasingly in alternative delivery formats that include: online, hybrid, lab, short-term, late-start, off-site, and directed study. We offer on-site courses on the Rio Hondo campus, at the South Whittier Educational Center (SWEC), and the El Monte Educational Center (EMEC), and at the Rio Hondo Educational Center at Pico Rivera.
Our Division also maintains production facilities for our Journalism program, which oversees the publication of the campus newspaper El Paisano and campus magazine La Cima. We also provide a squad room for our co-curricular Forensics Speech & Debate Team.
At present, we offer the following degrees and certificates in our division:
- American Sign Language/Deaf Studies AA
- American Sign Language/Foundations of Interpreting AA
- Communication Studies AA-T
- English and Literature AA
- English AA-T
- Journalism AA-T
- Mass Communications/Mass Media AS
- Mass Communications/Print Media specialization AS
- Spanish AA-T
- Creative Writing COA
- French COA
- Mass Communications/Mass Media COA
- Mass Communications/Print Media Specialization COA
- Spanish COA
- American Sign Language COA
- Creative Writing – Novel Writing COA
- Creative Writing – Playwriting & ScreenWriting COA
- Creative Writing – Poetry Writing COA
- Creative Writing – Short Story Writing COA
- Creative Writing – Writing for Children COA
|AS-T = Associate in Science for Transfer Degree||CC = Career Certificate|
|AA-T = Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree||COA = Certificate of Achievement|
|AA = Associate of Arts Degree||COSP = Certificate of Skill Proficiency|
|AS = Associate of Science Degree|
We look forward to serving you in your search for educational offerings in Communications & Languages at Rio Hondo College!