Welcome to the Speech Department!
Rio Hondo College’s Speech Department puts into practice a true vision of communication excellence! Through our transfer level courses and an active Forensics Speech and Debate program, we provide our community with the opportunity to pursue a top-notch communication education. This page covers the basics about pursuing a degree in Communication Studies along with several links for further exploration.
According to the National Communication Association, “At its foundation, Communication focuses on how people use messages to generate meanings within and across various contexts, and is the discipline that studies all forms, modes, media, and consequences of communication through humanistic, social scientific, and aesthetic inquiry.”
WHAT IS COMMUNICATION STUDIES?
- There is a difference between Communication Studies and Communications, check out these descriptions on the CSU, San Marcos website.
- If you’re wondering what you will learn with a communication education, check out the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Assistant Professor, Jennifer Guthrie’s video on the benefits of majoring in Communication Studies.
- The National Communication Association also describes what a graduate with a communication degree should know, understand, and be able to do.
- Some of the skills you will develop taking our Communication (SPCH) courses are required for a successful career in any field. They include listening, speaking, critical thinking, advocacy and more. Check out this communication graduate discussing the value of communication skills in their respective field (Corporate Development).
- Not sure if a degree in Communication is right for you? Early on in your college career (first semester or summer before) you should visit the career center and sign up to take personal and career inventory assessments. These are offered to students at a very low cost or free and are a fun way to learn more about who you are and what careers line up with your personality. Make an appointment today!
If you want to learn more about the field check out these links to Communication professional organizations and get involved:
- Western States Communication Association
- Sigma Chi Eta
- Pacific Southwest Collegiate Forensics Association
- Public Relations Student Society of America
- National Communication Association
- International Communication Association
- Careers in Communication
- Transfer Options
- Communications Studies for Transfer Degree
- Speech Course Descriptions
- Forensics Speech & Debate
- Contact the Faculty