We are located in the Learning Resource Center, LR – 124. At the moment, we are only open for a select number of classes. If you have a question, scroll down to fill out the request form below. For accurate assistance, provide your course’s section. Someone will reach out to you.
Instructors: To access your Achieve courses click here.
Remote Learning Guidelines: Welcome to your English lab. This remote lab is where you will practice and develop your writing skills with the aid of your English instructor. During your time in this lab, you will work on assignments with your lab instructor and complete assignments in an online program. You are expected to be actively engaged during the entire term remotely.
The following information is an overview of the lab requirements.
Your instructor will expand on this information.
Your English lab is designed to help you improve your writing skills so that you can succeed in college. All English students must be concurrently enrolled in the corresponding English lab. This remote lab is designed to help you improve your writing skills so that you can succeed in college.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CREDIT
In order to achieve credit for your lab, you must complete the following requirements by the end of the term. Your instructor will provide specific details; however, below are some general requirements.
- Attendance during your assigned time is mandatory, unless your instructor tells you otherwise. You are to meet with your class via Zoom or another platform. Your instructor will inform you specifically how s/he expects you to check-in during your registered day and time. You are expected to engage in remote learning throughout the entire term.
- Conferences: If you are enrolled in English 101 or 201, you are required to have four e-conference meetings with your lab instructor. If you are enrolled in English 35, you are required five e-conferences meetings with your lab instructor. Your instructor will notify you how these e-meetings will take place. While you are encouraged to seek instructional support from various e-services online, like the LAC, the meetings may not replace your conference signature(s).
- Lab Exercises (LearningCurves): Online lessons are assigned by your lab instructor. As you may notice, your lab instructor may be different than your lecture instructor. If you are in English 35, you must complete 14 exercises. If you are in English 101 or 201, you must complete 10 exercises. All exercises must be completed on or before the final lab meeting.
LAB MATERIALS & OTHER RESOURCES
- The following lab materials are highly recommended. Activity Logs are optional for the summer terms as Achieve keeps track of each student’s work and you may keep track of conference meetings in your gradebook of choice.
- Achieve Access: Your lab instructor will send you information on how to enroll into Achieve. If you do not receive information by the second or third day of classes, contact your instructor and kindly ask him or her how to register for Achieve.
- Achieve Activation Code: In order to complete your online assignments, you need to purchase a digital Achieve Access Code through the Rio Hondo Bookstore’s website. You may also purchase the code directly from the Achieve platform. Digital purchases from the bookstore are available if you have a voucher. With the purchase you will have access to A Writer’s Reference 10th edition e-book by Diana Hacker and Nancy Sommers.
- Students who Still Have an Active LaunchPad Account: Students who have a current and active LaunchPad Account that will be good to the end of the semester should sign up for the 14 day free trial of Achieve and immediately complete the following google form:
- Once MacMillan verifies that a student indeed has an active account, the trial version of Achieve will be extended to match their LaunchPad Account.
- Activity Log: You may or may not receive an Activity Log from your instructor. If you do not receive one, do not worry. Your instructor will inform you how s/he will keep track of your e-conferences, attendance, and other related work.
- Headphones: The majority of the Achieve and Achieve tutorials have audio; therefore, headphones are highly recommended in a home environment which could be noisy and distracting.
- USB Flash Drive: A flash drive or access to any online/cloud-based storage system (e.g., Google Docs) is highly recommended for saving all English assignments in case of personal computer failure. You should always have a backup plan.
If you have problems signing in, contact Elvira Aguilar at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Achieve Technical Support Team: https://macmillan.force.com/macmillanlearning/s/contactsupport
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: Academic Support Tutoring for assistance with LAC/WRC and other academic tutoring. Assistance is also available by calling 562-646-7750 Monday – Thursday (9:00AM – 4:00PM) and Friday (9:00AM – 1:30PM).
Depending on your professor or field of study, a specific citation style may be required when citing your sources. These are guides created by the library on the most commonly used citation styles.
In addition to the citation handouts, Purdue Owl gives an expanded guide and explanation on each citation style and more:
|The Purdue Owl Writing Lab|